Super simple, speedy comfort food. That cooks in bulk and while I am at work – winning!
- 900g-1kg skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 4 large carrots (about 350g) chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small brown onion (about 140g), diced
- 1/2 tsp garlic flakes
- 150g button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh chopped thyme
- 1 cup hot chicken stock
- 2 large handfuls of chopped green beans
- 100g cream cheese (dairy, soy or cashew based) OR 2tbsp coconut cream if you’d prefer
Roughly chop the carrots and place them in the bottom of the slow cooker.
In a frying pan, heat the olive oil then add in the onion and cook gently until translucent. Add in the garlic, thyme and mushrooms and cook for 1 further minute, stirring well to coat the mushrooms.
Place the chicken thighs in to the slow cooker on top of the carrots.
Add the stock to the frying pan with onions and mushrooms, stir and then scrape into the slow cooker on top of the chicken.
Place lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 7 hours (or high for 3.5).
Remove lid, add in the green beans, stir and replace lid for a further hour on low (or 30 mins on high). Broccoli florets also work well here.
Remove lid and use 2 forks to shred the chicken, as fine as you’d like, then add in the cream cheese and mix well until it is dissolved and evenly distributed.
Makes 8 serves.
Serve on a bed of mash (potato or cauliflower) or with noodles (pasta or zucchini)
If macros are important to you, here they are for 1 serve (that is 1/8th of the total meal), based on the dairy cream cheese: