This delicious Moroccan inspired curry is actually adapted from one that Libby gave me at a recipe swap night about 8 years ago – thanks Lib!
- 8 chicken thighs, diced
- 800g tin crushed tomatoes
- 2 x 420g tin chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 12 medjool dates, diced
- about 4 tbsp oil of choice
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp plain GF flour
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp tumeric
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 cups hot chicken stock (I used Massel)
- 1/2 cup roasted sunflower seeds or blanched almonds
Into a large plastic zip lock bag, place flour and all dry spices, shake to combine then add in the diced chicken and shake well until coated.
Heat oil and brown chicken in a couple of batches, then set aside.
Heat some more oil, add onion and cook for a few minutes translucent.
Add garlic, and cook stirring for another 2 minutes.
Return the coated chicken along with any spices remaining from the bag to the frying pan.
Stir well and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and stock to the pan. Simmer gently for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the chick peas and dates and cook, stirring for another 5 minutes.
Add in the sunflower seeds or almonds and serve with brown rice, corn cous cous or cauliflower rice.
Makes about 10 serves and freezes and defrosts well.
A few Budget/Bulk Cooking tips:
- For less expensive dates you can use dried ones. Just add them to the pot about 5 minutes earlier so they have longer to soften and plump up.
- When I need to make this meal stretch further, I add an additional 400g tin of tomatoes and an additional tin of drained chick peas. Works beautifully to feed our family 4 times over!
One thought on “Chicken, chick pea and date curry”
I love that meal! It’s one I often give as an ’emergency’ meal to families as it freezes so well. Glad you have been able to adapt it.