This cake is based on the idea of the 30 second Orange cake from the Thermomix recipe community and you can find the original here. It is quite a dense, moist cake. I made it in my Bellini, but I think you could make it in a high powered food processor – you’ll just need to increase the times.
- 1 whole orange (yes, ALL of it – skin, pips, the lot)
- 6 medjool dates, pips removed
- 225g Nuttelex/vegan butter/ tasteless coconut oil
- 80g coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 cups GF SR flour plus 1/3 cup almond/seed meal OR 2 cups (350g) spelt flour plus 2.5 tsp of GF baking powder
- 6 tbsp aquafaba (liquid drained from a can of chick peas)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
Place orange, in quarters, dates and Nuttelex in the machine and blitz on speed 9 for about 10-15 seconds.
Add in the sugar, chia (and baking powder if required) then process on speed 5 for 15 seconds.
Add in the aquafaba through the top chute whilst mixing on speed 4.
Add in the flour (and meal if using) and mix on speed 4 for 20 seconds, then scrape down the sides and then again on speed 5 for 15 seconds.
Place in a greased 20cm springform cake tin and bake in a preheated 180C oven for about 60 minutes. Allow to cool slightly in tin before transferring to cooling rack. Sprinkle with GF icing sugar to serve. Freezes and defrosts well too. Enjoy 🙂