Light and fluffy hotcakes are a very popular weekend breakfast in our house.
These ones are so light, fluffy and fragrant that they get absolutely demolished …. by all 6 of us!
- 1 1/2 cups, wholemeal spelt flour OR 1 1/3 cups plain GF flour mix
- 1/2 cup almond meal (or my Real Protein Powder) OR a seed meal mix
- 2 tsp GF baking powder
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar OR maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups vanilla almond milk, OR other milk of choice
- 30g vegan butter, melted, OR mild oil*
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 3 tbsp aquafaba (liquid drained from can of chick peas) OR 1 whole egg OR 1 medium, overripe banana, well mashed
- butter of choice to serve
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries (optional)
In a large bowl whisk together all of your dry ingredients (Speed 4, 10 seconds). Then set aside.
Mix together the oil, milk and vanilla and whisk until well combined. If you are using the maple syrup, aquafaba, banana or an egg, add in at this step. (Blend all together on speed 5 for 8 secs)
Pour the wet mix into the dry mix and whisk well to combine. (Speed 4, 10 seconds, scrape down and repeat).
Fold through the blueberries (Use speed 3 for 15 seconds), if using. Vanilla, almonds and blueberries go so well together!
Pour the batter into a hot, lightly greased frying pan, wait until bubbles appear on the surface, then flip and cook until both sides are golden brown.
Top with butter of choice and serve warm.
These ones also freeze and defrost really well. I tend to make a double batch and then freeze 2 together, sandwich style, with vegan butter in the middle for a easy, low mess snack.
*for an alternative to the oil in this mix, use 1 heaped tsp of sunflower seed butter (or nut butter) and half a small over-ripe banana and blend them together with the other wet ingredients before adding to the dry mix.