Light and fluffy pikelets (or you might know them as hotcakes?!) – are a very popular weekend breakfast in our house.
These ones are so light, fluffy and fragrant that they get absolutely demolished …. by all 6 of us!
- 1 1/2 cups flour (half wholemeal) OR 1 1/3 cups plain GF flour mix
- 1/2 cup almond meal OR a seed meal mix
- 2 tsp GF baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups vanilla almond milk, OR other milk of choice
- 30g light olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 3 tbsp aquafaba (liquid drained from can of chick peas) OR 1 whole egg OR 1 medium, overripe banana, well mashed
- Optional- 1 tbsp coconut sugar or maple syrup*
- Optional – 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- toppings of choice to serve
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries (optional)
*We don’t add any sweetener when we use a ripe banana in the mix, but taste test and adjust according to your preference.
In a large bowl whisk together all of your dry ingredients (Speed 4, 10 seconds). Then set aside.
Mix together the oil, milk and vanilla and whisk until well combined. If you are using the maple syrup, aquafaba, banana or an egg, add in at this step. (Blend all together on speed 5 for 8 secs)
Pour the wet mix into the dry mix and whisk well to combine. (Speed 4, 10 seconds, scrape down and repeat).
Fold through the blueberries (Use speed 3 for 15 seconds), if using. Vanilla, almonds and blueberries go so well together!
Pour the batter into a hot, lightly greased frying pan, wait until bubbles appear on the surface, then flip and cook until both sides are golden brown.
Add your topping of choice and serve warm.
These ones also freeze and defrost really well. I tend to make a double batch and then freeze 2 together, sandwich style, with vegan butter or sunflower seed butter in the middle for an easy, low mess snack -perfect for lunchboxes!
Enjoy … We sure do!
For Easter we have tuned our pikelets in to bunny butts! So cute as they run away!
A bigger one for the body and 2 smaller ones for the feet – decorate with your imagination.
We like Bananas, dates and seed butter as a great combo, or if you’re a serious sweet tooth, whipped cream and dark chocolate!